- Prep time
- 30 min
- Total time
- 55 min
- 4 - 6
- 1 egg white, whisked
- 1 egg, whisked (optional)
For the empanada dough
- 750 ml (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 150 g (1/3 lb.) unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 1 egg
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk
For the stuffing
- 10 ml olive oil
- 1.5 L (6 cups) fresh kale, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) roasted peppers, chopped
- 300 g Woolwich Dairy Original Soft Fresh Goat Cheese Log
- 1 /2 garlic clove, minced
For the avocado chimichurri sauce
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- The juice from half a lemon
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) dried oregano
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375 °F).
- Using a food processor, combine the flour and salt. Add the butter and pulse for 10-15 seconds. Add the egg and milk, a little at a time, until desired texture is obtained. Set aside.
- In a pan set over medium heat, sauté the kale in olive oil for 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Place kale on a paper towel and let cool (this is so that the kale does not lose water during the final cooking time). In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the stuffing.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough out ¼-inch thick. Using a 6-inch round cookie-cutter, cut the dough into circles. Using a brush, wet the exterior of the circles with the egg white.
- Fill each empanada with the stuffing and close. Using your fingers or a fork, seal the edges shut. Brush with the whisked egg, if desired. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until golden (20-25 minutes).
- While the empanadas cook, place all the ingredients for the chimichurri sauce in a blender and puree. Serve the empanadas with the sauce.